Thursday, April 23, 2009

Finally Climbing

Well, the time has come for my final blog posting about rock climbing. But rather than just ending I wanted to leave you with some thoughts, tip, and other resources that I have found useful during my time as an aspiring climber.

My first though is that if you have a desire to climb don't let other things stop you. Make it a family affair if not being able to find a sitter is a reason for not going. Also try to schedule time, because otherwise it is the one thing that always gets pushed aside because it is last on the list.

Some tips, when you go out to look for gear and new equipment, do your research on prices, quality even the shipping standards of the company. The one thing I can't stress enough is that if you have a local store like an REI don't hesitate to go in and try things on to see how it fits before ordering it elsewhere. You need to get the best deal you can because climbing quickly becomes and expensive sport if you are not careful. But PLEASE DO NOT go to your small hometown store and just try things on because of the higher price. Chances are if you talk with them they will price match and there is no other place that you can find the same knowledgeable staff as in a small local gear shop, so if you have the ten extra bucks to spend, do it there.

Next if you want more information one of the best online resources is Rock Climbing.Com. Your fair warning though is that there is such an abundance of material that you will be sifting though it for quite some time. But they have some of the best information you will find about anything climbing related. Another valuable online site is solely for shopping and getting the best deal. This is Spadout.com. They have anything you could think of for climbing plus tons of other outdoor activities including, biking, camping, snowboarding, and just a clothing section. I cant even begin to tell you how many tings I have found by searching through their sight and the amount of money I have saved.

Finally, I would like to say, go out climb and just have fun. Don't worry about the numbers, because it is so easy to get caught up in them that you will actually not be able to climb past a certain level. Climb safe, have a good time, and do your best to get someone else introduced to climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment